Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Leah Goes to Heritage School

Today is such a special day for Leah!  She gets to experience a day at school in 1892 at an old one-room school house.  Leah is learning about Nebraska history this year and this is part of their curriculum.  I told Leah a lot about her family heritage - who her ancestors were and where they came from, how they came here and settled in rural Nebraska, and how some of them wore dresses just like hers, and ate a lunch like she will today.  I told her about the antique buggy that has been in our family for over 100 years and how it picked kids up from a one-room school.  I told her about her Great Great Grandma Uhe who taught in a country school like this one.  Leah told me that some of the kids think this trip will be dumb and boring.  I told her today is special…today she will get to experience the life her ancestors lived.  I told her this is a part of who she is. 

IMG_3123  IMG_3099

The school house used to be located on the State Fair grounds.  It has been relocated to Pioneer Park in Lincoln.  I love how natural it looks now…surrounded by prairie grass and open fields.  I don’t have a picture of it there yet.  I will have to take Leah back out and get some pictures.  Here are some pictures of it at the State Fair Park. 

IMG_4287 IMG_4277

 IMG_4279 IMG_4280

We packed Leah an authentic lunch in an antique pail.  She had homemade wheat bread – made with wheat we ground ourselves.  She has pickles, a hard boiled egg and Snickerdoodles.  Looks good to me!  

IMG_3092 IMG_3094

I can’t wait for her to get home so I can hear about her day!!

IMG_3127 IMG_3129

IMG_3107 IMG_3108

IMG_3113 IMG_3106

No comments:

Post a Comment